Monday, July 9, 2012

Drift Chronicles: The Producers ~ D.R.U.G.S

D.R.U.G.S came in and had everybody going crazy....

Some artist have producers that they will always work with. Producers with whom the chemistry is undeniable. I have been fortunate enough to find such a producer, his name is D.R.U.G.S (Dope Real Under Ground Sounds)



Check my Q&A with D.R.U.G.S below





D.R.U.G.S and I have worked together since I arrived in ATL way back in 2005. He and I were introduced by Mudnoc when I inquired about getting beats for my first album... We started off shakey but quickly became kindred musical spirits. We are kind of like the Mudnoc studio mascots now...hahaha..Anywho, When it comes to making a stellar, grimy Hip hop beats...nobody does it better than D.R.U.G.S

Here's our one of our first joints together from back in day. It's off of my first album - Da Threat




Since that release, D.R.U.G.S has been busy. He's won countless beat battles in ATL and won the 9th Wonder's Gladiator Beat Battle back in April of last year. Since that win, D.R.U.G.S and I released our collaborative EP, DNA. He then earned placements with 50 Cent, Ludacris, and LL Cool J to name a few.

The man is blowing up....And I'm sooo proud and happy for him. It feels good to see someone you've worked/starved with finally get their just due.


When did you know that you wanted to be a producer? Was there a song or moment that confirmed it for you?

Damn thats a hard one. I would say it was more than one moment that made me want to do this. But, if I had to pick one it would be the first time I head Gang Starr’s Moment of Truth album. Every beat was so hard - so dope. It was the first time I ever samples chopped like that. Also Slum Village’s Player, OMG when I heard that beat I lost it...

What other Artist do you work with?

50 Cent, Lloyd Banks, Paris Mind and the rest of the G Unit Camp. I'm also currently working with Pete Rock on a few projects. Ludacris, Cooley High, Lazurus, Azon Blaze, Skyzoo and a lot more (lol)


What are your thoughts on the state of urban music today?

Honestly, I really don't think about it that much. I mean the current state of Hip Hop can be much better, but hey a lot can. I think we should take as much comfort in being underground artist vs. being mainstream. Cause from where I’m sitting I’m seeing a lot of underground artist getting what’s due them vs. mainstream

What was your initial reaction when hearing your joints 'Everything' and 'Hope 2 God'?

It felt good. A great feeling. I smiled ear to ear. It automatically made me go back to the lab to start on D.N.A Part 2

How can people stay up on whats going on with D.R.U.G.S?

My website, twitter or facebook

http://drugs-beats.com

@d_r_u_g_s_beats

facebook.com/drugsbeats.norman


There you have it...in his own words

Download Adrift Da Belle's Drift Chronicles today!!
#BELLE100


No comments:

Post a Comment